- Our Capital Campaign We need your help to create The NEW Center for the Prevention of Child Abuse!
Download the Pledge Card
- Tiles To Fill Our New CAC Celebrate the special child (or children) in your life by immortalizing their artwork on the walls of our Child Advocacy Center! Tiles make a wonderful holiday gift for young artists!
- Advocates We provide education and support that enables children and families to stay together in a safe environment.
- Educators We educate families, teachers, and medical professionals in our community to raise abuse awareness.
- Thank You To Our Friends Please support the following businesses who support the Center for the Prevention of Child Abuse!
- 2014 Gala Sponsors We are grateful for the generosity of our 2014 Gala Sponsors. Please take a moment to visit their web sites and patron their businesses.
- Help Keep Our Children Warm! Once Upon a Child in Wappingers Falls is opening their doors for our Clients to have a fully donated shoping spree...The generousity is overwhelming! Our Families can shop on December 7th and The Center will have an information table there all day! Stop by and say Hi! Let's Keep Our Children Warm!
- Cherished Children Mary Westermann cherishes her nieces and nephews!
Our mission is to prevent child abuse.
We hope this website will help you learn about our programs and services; see the impact we are making in our communities (success stories, statistics, and newsletters); meet the people on our staff and board of directors; understand the devastating effects of abuse on children; learn how to stay connected (join our mailing list, join our Facebook group, or attend an upcoming event); and find out how you can help (volunteer or make a donation).
The Child Abuse Prevention Center, Inc. is a private, not-for-profit agency with the mission "to reduce the incidence of child abuse and neglect by providing education, prevention, and intervention services throughout Dutchess County. The agency began in 1973. While we receive financial support from a variety of state and local agencies, we rely heavily on donations and contributions from our community to effectively serve our children and families.
Recent Blog Posts
In 2010, 79,668 New York State children were abused or neglected, according to the NYS Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (the Child Abuse Reporting Hotline) -- a victimization rate of 18.0 for every 1,000 children.
In New York State in 2010, 114 children died as a result of abuse or neglect, a fatality rate of 2.58 per 100,000 children, according to Child Maltreatment 2010. This is a 4.4 percent increase from 109 fatalities that occurred in 2009.
Every year 3.3 million reports of child abuse are made in the United States involving 6 million children.
The United States has the worst record of the industrialized nations – five children every day lose their life due to abuse-related deaths.
Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education.
More than 90% of juvenile sexual abuse victims know their perpetrator in some way.
According to Child Maltreatment 2010, the most recent report of data from the National Child Abuse and Neglect Data System (NCANDS), a nationally estimated 754,000 duplicate and 695,000 unique number of children were found to be victims of child maltreatment in the Federal fiscal year (FFY) 2010.
The estimated annual cost of child abuse and neglect in the United States for 2008 is $124 billion.
The Center works with children, youth, parents, the general public, mandated reporters (such as teachers, medical professionals, and daycare providers) civic groups, schools and other agencies to prevent child abuse and neglect. Please call and find out how you can help us keep our children safe in Dutchess County. Financial contributions are always greatly appreciated.